Delhi High Court Grants Bail to Chakraborty, HR Head of News Click

0

The court took note of Chakraborty’s disability and his dependency on a wheelchair.

image - 2024-05-08T122902.200

Image Source: Muslim Mirror

Justice Swarna Kanta Sharma of Delhi High Court on Monday ordered the release of Amit Chakraborty, Human Resource Head of News Click, who sought bail after turning approver in a UAPA case registered against the news portal on allegations of receiving money for pro-China propaganda.

Delhi High Court passed the order allowing Chakraborty’s bail plea seeking his release in the said case.

“Having considered the facts and circumstances of the case, the absence of objection from the prosecution in releasing the petitioner from custody, as well as the medical condition of the petitioner, this court directs that the petitioner herein be released on his furnishing a personal bond in the sum of 25,000 rupees with one surety of the like amount, subject to the satisfaction of the concerned Trial Court,” the court said.

The court took note of Chakraborty’s disability and his dependency on a wheelchair.

“The petitioner’s medical condition warrants special consideration and calls for a humane and understanding approach to his situation. In cases where an individual’s physical disability significantly affects his well-being and daily functioning, the court must acknowledge its responsibility to intervene judiciously and consider the possibility of relief or release from custody if the same is permissible under law.”

Prabir Purkayastha, the founder of News Click, and Amit Chakraborty were apprehended in October last year after searches were conducted at various locations. As per the current status in the case, Prabir Purkayastha is in judicial custody.

Amit Chakraborty had earlier approached the Supreme Court challenging his arrest in the matter but withdrew his plea after turning approver. In October 2023, News Click came under scrutiny by the Delhi Police, which conducted raids at various residences of journalists associated with the portal.

According to officials, 46 suspects were interrogated, and their electronic devices were seized under UAPA.

The organization came under question from the investigating agency after a report by The New York Times, which claimed that the firm allegedly received money from the US-based billionaire Neville Roy Singham, who carried out campaigns in support of China and its propaganda.

The Delhi High Court last year refused to entertain the pleas filed by Purkayastha and Chakaborty challenging a trial court order which remanded them to seven days under police custody.

Delhi High Court’s order was challenged by Purkayastha and Chakaborty, who approached the Supreme Court and filed special leave petitions, though Chakaborty later withdrew his petition after turning approver in the case.

Team Profile

Mohit Dalal
Mohit DalalNews Writer
Mohit Dalal, a graduate in Psychology currently pursuing a Master's degree in Journalism, is deeply intrigued by society and its norms. His interest in this captivating field has inspired a desire to excel in legal journalism. Mohit aspires to make significant contributions to the field of journalism, particularly in covering legal issues and related societal matters.

Leave a Reply